Doug Gardner
Jul 23, 2018

2018 Diary

10 comments

Doug Gardner
Jul 23, 2018

After many years off it's great to have a garden again!!

Doug Gardner
Jul 23, 2018

1760 Bryson

Doug Gardner
Jul 23, 2018

1608 Bryson. All the pumpkins on this plant had this gnarly pear shape. I had to go with the biggest on the main.

Doug Gardner
Jul 23, 2018

Doug Gardner
Jul 25, 2018

A frustrating day. My 1760 Bryson goes down with a blossom end split. I had just recently culled my backup pumpkins on the plant. Grrrrrrrrr. I found an open pollinated lemon sized pumpkin on a secondary that I will have to go with but it's too late now. Hoping for a display pumpkin for Halloween at this point.

Doug Gardner
Aug 16, 2018

Doug Gardner
Aug 22, 2018

Well the pear shape is changing. The top is catching up to the bottom....looking better now.

Doug Gardner
Aug 22, 2018

Still chugging along. The recent rain has helped this pumpkins continued growth.

Doug Gardner
Aug 22, 2018

But that same rain has taken its toll on the 1760. Splits!!! It was way behind anyway. Couldn't keep any pumpkins happy on this plant. There's always next year.

Doug Gardner
Aug 22, 2018

We enjoyed the sunflowers this year.

• langridgesfreshproduce
    Oct 6
  • Lookajook
    Sep 5
  • jeff craig
    Nov 1

Better later then never right? I meant to start this a while ago, but just never got around to it. Here is my bushel gourd progress for 2019. May 23, they have been sitting in the front window soaking up the sun. May 27, I finally got them into the garden. Jun 7, they seem attracted to each other... Aug 8. I had seen a lot of flowers, but hardly any female flowers. After a few didn't take off I decided to manually pollinate them and this one took off! Aug 14. This is before I leave for a vacation, its growing pretty well. Aug 25. Its growing a lot faster then I imagined! I hope my trellis (read: Fence) can handing the possible size of this monster!

© 2019 Giant Vegetable Growers of Ontario