dclement483
Jul 8, 2017

D Clement diary 2017

52 comments

Has anyone seen this before? its the end of the main it has 3 tendils 2 secondarys 2 leaves one male and one female its at 18 ft , not sure what to do , its one of my best plants have one pollinated at 16 ft

Ryan
Jul 9, 2017

I would just trim it to resemble a normal vine. Keep one secondary and remove the male and extra tendrils. I'd remove the female unless you really want it as backup.

Phil & Jane Hunt - GVGO
Jul 9, 2017

I'm with Ryan on this. Trim the crap off & just leave 1 vine to act as your main.

dclement483
Jul 9, 2017

Done thanks guys!

dclement483
Aug 4, 2017

Can someone tell me where I can get an updated measuring chart I've been using one from 2009

dclement483
Aug 4, 2017

I have a fruit at 211 inches at day 20 how much is that?

giantveg
Aug 4, 2017

215lbs

Ryan
Aug 4, 2017

Going to be nice and orange.

dclement483
Aug 5, 2017

Sorry forgot to mention that's the 1803 Hoelke

dclement483
Aug 10, 2017

1803 Hoelke starting to pick back up after a couple cool days and lots of cool nites

dclement483
Aug 10, 2017

This is the split in the main on the 1803 that happened in early June from a wind storm about 3 feet ahead of the stump, I was going to pull the plant but John Vincent said he had seen a lot worse glad I listened

Ryan
Aug 10, 2017

looks good dan. very similar shape and colour to mine last year.

dclement483
Aug 10, 2017

This is the 1585 Werner at day 27 240 OTT this plant is high maintenance lots of sunburned leaves and we haven't had a lot of sun and it doesn't like the wind either

dclement483
Aug 11, 2017

They do look similar Ryan but I don't think I can top yours lol

dclement483
Aug 14, 2017

1803 Hoelke 7 day average 39 lbs could be a new PB fingers crossed

Ryan
Aug 14, 2017

Just keep those leaves healthy and it will keep cruising. Nice numbers.

dclement483
Aug 18, 2017

Came home to find this tonite on the 1803 no smell and no ooze but it's deep sprayed with alcohol patched with sulphur alcohol paste and put fan on wasn't going to measure till Saturday but it mite be done so today was dap 38 OTT 319

dclement483
Aug 18, 2017

1803 today

Ryan
Aug 18, 2017

There's probably guys that know how to try and save that stem. I don't have much experience with stem splits but the experienced guys do and may chime in.

I've seen people save them because I've seen pumpkins at weighoffs that you can see right through both sides of the stem. They cut them open to relieve stress and expose to air to prevent rot, but honestly I don't know how exactly it's done. Maybe someone will give a quick plan of attack.

dclement483
Aug 18, 2017

Thanks Ryan I think I figured out what to do from big pumpkin archives sure hope it works

Phil & Jane Hunt - GVGO
Aug 19, 2017

Hi guys sorry for the delay. I was up at the camp.

I use a sharp knife & start from the split. Slice 1/2 way deep into the center of the stem (length way with the blade) & cut towards the plant. You only need to cut @ 1-2" (depending on the split) along the vine to relieve the pressure. Do the same if the other side is splitting. When your done, sulfur the inside & cut lines & put a fan on it. We have one that we're dealing with now & that is what we did.

If it splits deep into the pumpkin, we will put a small slice (2" long) across the end of the split & that will sometimes stop the pumpkin from splitting through. Not always though. Some you just can't stop from splitting. Sulfur all areas that you cut. Don't worry they will heal over

Good luck

• langridgesfreshproduce
    Oct 6
  • Lookajook
    Sep 5
  • jeff craig
    Nov 1

Better later then never right? I meant to start this a while ago, but just never got around to it. Here is my bushel gourd progress for 2019. May 23, they have been sitting in the front window soaking up the sun. May 27, I finally got them into the garden. Jun 7, they seem attracted to each other... Aug 8. I had seen a lot of flowers, but hardly any female flowers. After a few didn't take off I decided to manually pollinate them and this one took off! Aug 14. This is before I leave for a vacation, its growing pretty well. Aug 25. Its growing a lot faster then I imagined! I hope my trellis (read: Fence) can handing the possible size of this monster!

© 2019 Giant Vegetable Growers of Ontario